Every aspiring fashion designer or someone with an interest in fashion needs the following tools when starting out;
1. Draping tools: A pair of scissors (for cutting) and tape measure (To measure fabric and body measurements).
2. A Sketch Book or/and Sketchpad: For penning down your creative ideas
3. A Sewing machine.
4. Dress form: A dress form is a three-dimensional model of the torso used for fitting clothing that is being designed or sewed. When making a piece of clothing, it can be put on the dress form so one can see the fit and drape of the garment as it would appear on a body, and make adjustments or alterations.
5.Fashion art tools : Tools such as pencil, erasers, watercolor, markers etc
6. Sewing tools (needles, threads)
7. Fabrics (Patterns, solids, specialty fabrics)
8. Pattern making tools:
– White or brown pattern paper,
– Dress maker tracing paper,
– Tracing wheel,
– French curve.
9. Fashion Designer Survival Guide by Mary Gelhar
How many items can you tick off this list?